Dr Jonathan Kam
MBBS(Hons) BMedSc(Hons) FRANZCO AMA(M)
Dr Kam is a committed eye surgeon and general ophthalmologist. He is a leader in cataract and lens surgery, and dedicates his time to both public and private work in Melbourne. His current appointments are:
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at Doncaster Eye Centre
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital (Surgical Ophthalmology Service)
- Consultant Ophthalmologist at Northern Health
- Director of the Northern Health International Ophthalmic Surgery Fellowship (NHIOSF)
- Registrar Term Supervisor for the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists
- Honorary Clinical Lecturer in Ophthalmology at the University of Melbourne
- Clinic Director at Inner East Eye Surgeons
He regularly sees patients for cataract surgery, pterygium surgery, laser procedures for medical conditions, retinal conditions such as age related macular degeneration (AMD), glaucoma, uveitis, and eyelid conditions such as heavy eyelids due to excess skin. He also often works with neurologists, endocrinologists, and rheumatologists in the treatment of systemic conditions, and has a special interest in holistic care. He has performed over 2500 successful cataract operations to date, and is highly regarded amongst his peers for his teaching in this area.
Jonathan trained at Australia’s top hospitals. He studied Medicine at Monash University in Melbourne, Australia, and spent some time at the University of Oxford completing a student elective in Ophthalmology.
He received his Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery awarded with Honours, and Bachelor of Medical Science also with Honours in 2009. He then went on to complete his internship and surgical residency at the well known Alfred Hospital due to its excellent training, before moving to to the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital for six years of specialist training in Ophthalmology, which included some time spent at The Royal Children’s Hospital.
In 2017, he held the position of Advanced Cataract Surgery Fellow at the Royal Victorian Eye and Ear Hospital. In 2018, he returned to the Alfred Hospital for further training in tertiary hospital ophthalmology, where he worked with other medical speciality units such as neurology, neurosurgery, oncology, rheumatology, trauma surgery and plastic surgery.
He has won a number of awards for his surgery and medical research, which focuses on safety in surgery, and is a Fellow of the Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Ophthalmologists. He is recognised as a Specialist by both the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency and Medicare.
He is a member of the Australian Medical Association, the American Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgery, and the European Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons. He has authored many (20+) scientific articles, including a book chapter on cataract surgery, and has been a speaker for the Australasian Society of Cataract and Refractive Surgeons advanced trainee program.
- Dr Kam’s Cataract Surgery Technique
- Dr Kam’s Marking Technique for Chalazion Surgery
- A full list of his awards, publications and presentations can be viewed here.
Current research work:
- Telehealth Service for Ophthalmology Patients
- Sleep Hygiene for treatment of Dry Eyes
- Intraocular Lens options options in the absence of capsular bag
We practice Inspirational Eyecare by:
- Sharing our experience and knowledge with our referrers
- Treating patients with kindness and honesty
- Practicing our work with passion and interest
Need to make an appointment?
Referring clinicians can visit the referral page for details on how to refer their patients to see Dr Jonathan Kam.
Otherwise, view our contact page.